Roti Malpua- Malpua Recipe Bengali Style
Rabindra Jayanti is marked by the birthday of Nobel laureate Rabindranath Tagore. Rabindranth Tagore’s wanderlust took him to different places and he would come back with recipes he liked. He also had love for unusual food combination like Cauliflower Sondesh, jackeruit fish, etc. With Rabindranath Tagore’s Birth anniversary coming up on 25 Boishak I thought to recreate an unusual Malpua Recipe. So this Rabindra Jayanti I am paying tribute to Rabindranath Tagore with my Rabindra Jayanti Special – Roti Malpua. You can also alternatively call it Malpua recipe Bengali style. Now let’s just straight-away jump into the recipe of Roti Malpua.
Roti Malpua- Malpua Recipe Bengali Style- The Recipe
You need to follow the recipe of Malpua in 6 phases. While I was shooting video for this recipe I made 3 Malpua ( One Malpua each for Me, my mother and my father), so all the measurements of the ingredients are accordingly. So let’s get started now:-
Phases 1 & 2 (Rabdi and Sugar Syrup)
- Crush 5-6 Cardamom coarsely, half for Sugar syrup (Chashni) and half for Rabdi. Prepare Sugar syrup now. For this take a saucepan and add a cup of water with a cup of sugar. Add half of the crushed cardamom into it. Let it cook till sugar completely gets dissolved.
- Now prepare Rabdi and for this take a pan and pour 2 cups of Milk. Add rest of the crushed cardamom into this and 4 tablespoon of condensed milk. Stir and move the cream layer with a spatula occasionally. Switch off the burner once the consistency of Rabdi is thick.
Phase 3 & 4 (Preparing Roti and Marinating)
- Prepare Rotis for roti malpua. Knead soft dough and roll small rotis. You need to roll 2 rotis for one maplua. I rolled 6 rotis for 3 malpuas.
- This phase is a little tricky now, so you need to watch the video for better understanding. Take a plate or a container and put 2 teaspoons of Rabdi on the plate. Spread it in a way that you can perfectly place roti over the rabdi. Now again put 2 teaspoon of rabdi and spread it over the roti. Now take another roti and place it over the first roti and again spread rabid over it. Repeat this process till all the rotis get covered with Rabdi. Let it rest for 8 hours so that rotis get soaked in rabdi.
Phase 5 & 6 (Frying and Plating)
- Prepare a flour batter by mixing a cup of milk with 3 tablespoon of refined flour. After 8 hours pick up a roti with the help of a fork or spoon and stuff 2 teaspoon of coconut powder inside 2 rotis. Now 2 rotis stuffed with coconut powder together and dip into flour batter so as to bind everything together.
- Take a pan and pour some vegetable oil into it. Once the pan is hot, shallow-fry stuffed rotis dipped in flour batter. Fry the malpua from both the sides till it is golden brown. Immediately dip this fried malpua into sugar syrup for 5 minutes.
Roti Malpua is ready. All you need to do now is just garnish them with some rabdi and some chopped pistachios and almonds. Enjoy this delicious dessert this Rabindra Jayanti and let me know if you liked it or not in the comment section below. You can watch the video for better understanding. The video in the link has Malpua Recipe in Hindi.
P.S:- This recipe is recreated from the recipe book Thakurbarir Ranna by Purnima Thakur