Sweet and Sour Mango Chutney
This quintessential summer recipe of Sweet and Sour Mango Chutney is an absolute must have in my family. This is a heirloom recipe that my grand-mother taught my mother and my mother taught me.
My Grand-mother belonged to Mymensingh, Bangladesh. Her Bangladeshi recipes are something that me and my mother absolutely cherish making. Therefore we make sure that we keep her memories alive with her recipes. Bangladeshi recipe has multiple stages. And you need to monitor them constantly. However this recipe isn’t too lengthy. You can make this mango chutney in less than 15 minutes.
Bengalis make “Aamer Tok” aka Mango Chutney in various ways. This is one such “Aamer Tok” which is distinguished by the way spices are added and the mango being cut. So let’s straightaway get into recipe.
Sweet and Sour Mango Chutney – The Recipe
- 2 Raw Mangoes
- Sugar -100 grams
- Chilli Powder – Half a teaspoon
- Turmeric Powder – Half a teaspoon
- Salt – Half a teaspoon
- 1 teaspoon of Paanch Foran ( It consists of fenugreek seed, nigella seed, cumin seed, black mustard seed and fennel seed in equal parts. Paanch Foran can easily be found at any grocery store.)
- Mustard oil – 2 tablespoon
- Water – 1 Cup
- Grate 2 Raw mangoes and add sugar , chilli powder, turmeric powder and salt to it. Mix well. You will notice that the grated mango mixture discharges water at this stage.
- After that, take a pan and turn on the burner. Once the pan gets heated, pour mustard oil.
- Now add Paanch Foran into this and let it crackle. You can cover the pan with a lid till it crackles.
- After that, add the mango mixture and stir well.
- Now add water and cover with a lid. Let it simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove the lid and check if it has taken a jelly like consistency. If not then simmer without the lid. However it shouldn’t take more than 5 minutes.
- Switch off the burner because Mango Chutney is ready!
So this summer, make this Sweet and Sour Mango Chutney and tell us if your family liked it as my family does.